Friday 5 December 2014

Week 9: Developing Stylistic Diversity

http://agracy.weebly.com/uploads/2/5/9/9/25995307/2303750.jpg?348
Photo Courtesy: http://agracy.weebly.com/uploads/2/5/9/9/25995307/2303750.jpg?348
Refreshing my memory on Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences Theory, I have come to realise that there are so many diverse learning styles that a teacher just cannot address all of them at a span of a single class. Nor should it be done! I believe students can learn much more by being provided diversity than by just being directed towards their own learning style.

Deciding on one's own learning style is not an easy task. Challenged by this week's Webskills guest moderator, Russel Moon, I have tried to define my own. What I realised is that I am "active sometimes and reflective sometimes", "sensing sometimes and intuitive sometimes" as Richard Felder and Barbara Soloman so nicely put it in their article.

Generally speaking, I believe I am reflective-sensing-visual-sequential, but these preferences are so mild (especially in the case of active-reflective styles) that they easily turn into their opposites in specific circumstances. For example, when it comes to literature classes, I switch from visual to verbal and from sequential to global. The same goes for my fitness course, while I was attending the course for fitness instructors my learning style was greatly active, visual, intuitive and global. Almost a complete opposite to the preferred general style!


https://nameun.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/me-myself-and-irene.jpg
Photo Courtesy: https://nameun.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/me-myself-and-irene.jpg



What does this indicate? Well, hopefully not a DID disorder :) Even though there certainly is a Dr Jekyll and a Mr Hyde in all of us.





I believe learning is a life-long process which brings so much development to the learner. Throughout your life you develop, change, upgrade and adapt to different occasions. Naturally, your learning style undergoes the same changes. I see this process as a constant professional development.
http://www.paulasfonseca.com/uploads/5/9/3/9/5939887/636531260.gif?258
Photo Courtesy: http://www.paulasfonseca.com/uploads/5/9/3/9/5939887/636531260.gif?258

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gordana,

    I completely agree with your observation, "learning is a life-long process". So true!

    We do change and evolve everyday as we learn. So do our learning preferences. I believe with age and experience we learn to do tasks our own way. We develop methods by which we can handle each task (be it literature or fitness course, as you have mentioned) differently but best suited to it.

    What we just need to do is pass on this learning to our students so that they too can utilize their potential to the fullest.

    Best,
    Sharmila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gordana,

      Nice post! I like the way you emphasize on the fact that diversity can also help students learn much more. I agree with you and it's only by reading your post that I'm aware we do not obligatory have to adjust our teaching to meet all our students' learning styles. I think the most important is to find the right balance.

      Best,
      Ravaka

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharmila and Ravaka!

    Thank you for your replies!

    Definitely, diversity and balance. Golden rules of teaching :)

    Many hugs from Serbia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gordana, I also think it is difficult to teach in a way to cover all of the learnig styles as well as all of the intelligences and some other types of students according to different theories. As you are mentioning, diversity is welcome. Also, a teacher most usually teaches in a way that is close to him/her which means that he/she uses mostly his/her learning style as he/she is familiar and comfortable with it.
    Also, I do agree that people change with years as well as our learnig style depends on the theme/topic/subject we are trying to adopt as you are writing about your experience.

    ReplyDelete