Friday 31 October 2014

Week4: Plan A - Always have a Plan B!


I have diligently coined my Technology Enhanced Lesson Plan this week, posted it on Nicenet and Google Drive. It is actually based on one of the classes I teach this week. Proud of it I wanted to give it a try in the classroom.

Technical preparation took some time, but I was more than willing to do it. The overhead projector had to be disconnected from the classroom computer (as this one has no internet connection) and connected to my personal lap top (as this one has wireless internet connection).

http://lowres.jantoo.com/it-computers-pc-fight-hardware-arguments-fights-47630150_low.jpg
Everything went well!
Photo Courtesy:  http://lowres.jantoo.com/it-computers-pc-fight-hardware-arguments-fights-47630150_low.jpg

Sounded pretty simple to me. I did it all well in advance and everything was working perfectly...

...up until the moment I wanted to play the Youtube video prepared for this class. Ooooops! The overhead projector went completely dead. As if no laptop was connected to it. No picture, no sound, no video!
It took me a few seconds to collect myself and then I remembered: One of the points covered in the Technology Enhanced Lesson Plan was the issue of backup. What will you do WHEN (not IF, but WHEN) something goes wrong?
I had thought of this in advance and had already prepared the video on my smartphone. Most of the students had their smartphones with them and we were actually able to watch the video in pairs. So the technology component was not lost but, more importantly, another "component" was gained: Plan A - Always have a Plan B!
http://www.toonpool.com/user/589/files/plan_b_2289125.jpg
Photo Courtesy: http://www.toonpool.com/user/589/files/plan_b_2289125.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Nice insights on this week Gordana. I'm pleased to learn that you are applying the previously learned lesson plan. I plan to do the same myself but I hope I don't run into any problem along the way. But just in case I'll be prepared XD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gordana,

    Good job for your plan! You could fix the problem even before it happened as you already anticipated by creating a plan B while you were planning the lesson! Now, we can say that plan B is as important as plan A and we should even think of a plan C if it's needed! :)

    Ravaka from Madagascar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Ravaka,

      My plan C was to give up from using the online content and just play an audio CD. Or a plan D: just read a script of the audio recording the students have in their course books :)

      Best,
      Gordana from Serbia

      Delete
  3. Hi Gordana!

    Great work in your blog reflection!

    Congrats with your successful implementation of your tech lesson plan!!!

    Best regards,
    Zulyar
    Kazakhstan, Almaty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here we go again ... it did not work for the first time ...
    Dear Gordana,
    I admire your enthusiasm and I see you as a very positive and enthusiastic teacher. Your Ss are lucky to have you! I admire your ability to adopt, adapt and improve! And yes, it is always good to have plan B! Teachers can always improvise but the more knowledge and experience one has the easier it is!
    Greetings from Slovenia,

    Janja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here we go again ... it did not work for the first time ...
    Dear Gordana,
    I admire your enthusiasm and I see you as a very positive and enthusiastic teacher. Your Ss are lucky to have you! I admire your ability to adopt, adapt and improve! And yes, it is always good to have plan B! Teachers can always improvise but the more knowledge and experience one has the easier it is!
    Greetings from Slovenia,

    Janja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Janja,

    Seems it actually did work for the first time :D

    Thank you for the encouraging words! You made me blush :)

    Hear from you soon.

    Best,
    Gordana from Serbia

    ReplyDelete